The Dangers of Mould Growth In Your Home

by Remy Na

The Threat Of Mould To Your Health and Home

Mould belongs to the fungi kingdom and is part of the natural environment. Outdoor moulds play a significant part in the environment by breaking down the deceased matter such as dead trees and fallen leaves. Moulds that grow at home indoors should be best avoided.

Mould has some resemblance with plants as well as bacteria, but is neither a plant nor a bacterium. Mould has an individual kingdom and belongs to the fungi kingdom. The term mould is used to describe fuzzy fungi grown on various moist surfaces.

Moulds look like tiny smug marks; up close you may notice a fuzzy or hairy appearance. They produce millions of tiny seed like structures called spores that are invisible to the naked eye. These spores float through air indoors as well as outdoors. Mould begins growing indoors when the mould spores touch a moist surface. There are various types of mould that require different water levels, but none survive or multiply without the presence of moisture or water.

The human eye can at best see objects that are 10 or more microns. Mostly the indoor spores are merely 2 to 10 microns, while some spores are long, a few hundred microns.

Mould toxins also known as mycotoxins are discovered primarily on various toxic mould types such as toxic black mould also known as stachybotrys along with nearly ½ dozen other types of toxic moulds. Mycotoxins and allergens are found on dead spores or living spores as well.

Mycotoxins are produced by several species of toxic mould. These are defences against being eating by insects, and are also powerful weapons employed by toxic moulds in a microbial combat to assist them when competing against several other moulds and bacteria. The toxic black mould is commonly found by our inspection firm in South Florida, and is likely world wide, as it was first reported as a problem with solders and their hungry horses in the Ukraine near Russia almost 100 years ago. However, even if the mould spores observed in residential areas are a result of toxic black mould production at high levels, they may not always bring toxic illness effects on humans through normal indoor inhalation. A human gets poisoned only when we inhale lots of spores.

History reveals the toxic effects of toxic mould mycotoxins in farm animals and humans including birth defects, coma, internal bleeding, cancer, and death, mostly via eating foods contaminated with toxic mould. Remember the hungry Ukrainian horsed mentioned above, let’s just say they did not have a happy ending, and the solders that slept on mouldy hay did not fare much better.
The main reasons for mould growth at home are damp or moist surroundings.

Moulds are concealed behind the wall paper, on or behind dry wall, on top of ceiling tiles, beneath the pads or carpets, inside AC units, and behind the furniture. Cleaning concealed mould with chemicals is not the suggested remedy in most cases. Chemicals such as chlorine bleach are not recommended to clean mould. Mixing chlorine bleach solution with any other detergent or cleaning solution is best avoided as other items may contain ammonia leading to toxic fumes. If you kill the mould on the surface of your wall with bleach you are left with a false felling of security while the majority of the mould will still continue to grow hidden inside your walls.
It will turn from a small problem to a large more expensive growing hidden mould problem if not handled correctly the first time.

You must call a certified mould inspector to get to the root reasons for mould growth via investigations and testing or it will likely keep coming back.

We are a certified South Florida mould testing and inspection firm serving Miami Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach Fl home owners. Looking for a mould inspector click on the links above.

Article Source: http://www.articlerich.com